Thursday, January 20, 2011

Afghanistan: Land of the Brave

You don't know what it's like until you try it.
A Rebellion of Sorts
You have to take risks to see some things.
A Skip and A Hop to Kabul
If a door is open you should probably walk through it.
My mom would kill me if she knew...

This blog post could have had many names. When I touched down at Kabul International Airport the sign read "Welcome to the Land of the Brave".


Long story short is that I have two friends here at the hospital who are from Afghanistan (a married couple). From the second week I met them I started teasing them about me going home with them if they ever went. Well, on Sunday night I got a phone call from one of them asking if I would stop by their house, they wanted to talk to me... I always hate those I want to talk to you conversations they make me nervous so, I immediately went to their house that night.
They said they would leave on Tuesday for Afghanistan. I made a quick decision on Monday and went to get a visa in Abu Dhabi, thanks to some help from friends I got this in just a few hours. Tuesday our flight left at 6am and we were on the ground in Kabul by about 9am. I was a little nervous, but I trusted the friends I went with and knew they would keep me out of harms way. I was only in the country for 2.5 days but I had the opportunity to see a lot.
We drove from Kabul to Jalalabad and back on one of the coolest/ most dangerous looking roads ever. The scenery from Kabul down to Jalalabad was stunning. My camera does not do the country justice. The road was barely wide enough for 2 cars to be passing one another and driving from Kabul in the north down to Jalalabad in the south was a 2 hour winding road down the side of the mountain. We passed many accidents, military convoys and flipped over trucks!

We went shopping for a few hours in downtown Kabul and I managed to only walk away with 2 pashmina scarves.... unlike me!

We ate from a few restaurants like these...
To say the least life there is not so easy
Mom and Dad I am home safely! I hope you aren't too mad!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Oh Min, you never cease to amaze me:) Glad you are home safely!!! Miss you.