Thursday, January 12, 2012

All the pretty girls are doing it

A popular thing women do here is get henna on their hands and feet. The best comparision to it a manicure for us. Henna is interesting though- it is a plant material that is crushed and made into a dye and leaves the skin a dark brown or reddish color. There are versions of henna which are not actually henna that are not derived from plants that will leave the skin black. As my friends here say "that is not good for her skin" when they see the black design on someones hands.

Women go to the salon here to get henna done prior to weddings, parties and holidays the same way I get a manicure before any of those things.

Now, this is different then Indian Mendhi which uses the same type of plant but the designs are much different.

P.S. This is not my hand- I don't like getting henna because I hate how long it takes for it to come off and I can't stand the inbetween stage when your hand looks dirty because the design has faded.

2 comments:

Joanna Tower said...

Hi Min!

Loved reading your post on Henna, as we are trying to film a piece on the popularity of it in New Jersey. Send over any interesting information you might have, I would love that to add into my research.

Hope you are doing well with everything over there, and we all miss you lots!

Xo- Joanna

Min said...

Hi Joanna- I was just at a woman's house who was growing the henna plants in her backyard last week! I'll some of the girls who live here if they have anything interesting to tell me about it and I will be sure to pass it on!