Monday, October 18, 2010

It's feeling like I live here


My first 3 weeks in the UAE I lived at Trey and Jessie's house and then moved here to my current apartment. So, for 3 weeks I felt like I was on vacation. Not so much anymore. I feel like I live here now. Here are some normal things you do when you live somewhere and my status updates on them.
Making Friends:
It's easy to make friends but, it's hard to find people you just want to kick back and relax with. I think that's true anywhere you go in the world, this is why people live in the same place for a long time. I think this hopping around thing could be tough if I was doing it a lot. A little bit of everything contributes to the fact that it's tough to make friends. One friend blocking factor (FBF) is culture- here in the UAE local women must follow a few rules. One of which is not going out of your house alone or without permission from your parents. This weekend I had made plans with a new friend to go to the mall. I was dressed and ready for our adventure at 10am as planned. At about 11:15am I received a text explaining that she could not go because her mother would not allow her. She is 28 years old. Enough said.
Grocery Shopping:
You don't usually grocery shop on vacation. Here I am at LuLu Hypermarket .
Don't worry I don't buy the camel milk, this was just for the picture! They do have regular milk so I buy that. This week I decided to by some feta cheese for salads, I walked up to the counter and pointed to the feta and said "feta, just a little bit". The man who understands english just fine nods his head and grabs a container "half a kilo?" I get nervous remembering that this is not equivalent to a pound. I smile and hope he doesn't think dumb blonde "I'm not sure" I point again to a hunk of the cheese that is floating in the water, he throws it in the container and asks "is that enough?". "Yes, thanks" I am on my way now. One thing down.
I get home and make a salad and begin unwrapping the cheese and notice it smells and looks a little odd. I ask Trey "is this feta" and he points out that I bought Saudi Arabian Feta... who would have known that people in Saudi Arabia like to eat feta that smells like goat breath. It was not what I think feta cheese should be like.
Lesson learned.

6 comments:

Shiny Jacob said...

tat was a funny feta cheese experience uh??
Hey- you get feta cheese packed at the packed cheese session from Lulu's.. :) the kind tat does not smell like goat.lol

Stephanie said...

When my sister lived in China, she said that in order to not get her hopes up about food that was called the same thing in America but tasted NOTHING like it, she would say, "Man, this 'shmelbleh' -insert random letter combination- tastes great!" If she were to say, "This 'goat cheese' tastes great!" she would be disappointed because it was nothing like what she knew. :) Miss you, friend!

Unknown said...

you should have bought the camel milk. You'll move all the way around the world, but not try the camel milk??? hmmm

Lisa said...

I agree.. I wanted to know how camel's milk tasted like :-) Try it next time!!! You never know, t might be just want you need in the desert..

Lauren said...

Min! I've been catching up on all your posts :) I'm glad you're starting to feel more at home there. Though I'm sorry about the feta mis-adventure! haha I guess now you know...

And I agree with everyone else -- you should've tried the camel's milk! Aren't you curious about what it tastes like?? I'm dying to know :)

Hope all is well!! (and ps. love the picture with you and your little cart in one of your previous posts)

Unknown said...

minno!! i have to say, i too am catching up on the posts... and you made me laugh aloud to the 28 y/o commentary.. THAT'S MY LIFE!! I read it, and thought, "hmmm welp that's exactly what it feels like in my house". Yes, UAE doesn't fall far from US little Lebanon. Yikes.

Ok I miss n love you!! psyched to see you!!