Saturday, December 25, 2010

"Now bring us some figgy pudding..."

"And we won't go til we've got some so bring it right here."

Christmas was wonderful- better than I could have imagined it to be so many miles from home without any family.
This morning I woke up to head to the hospital for the coming of the three wisemen on their camels, a tradition that the hospital started 4 years ago. I will post those pictures on Monday- they are on my work camera and I shoot in raw on that and need to convert them at work and I took tomorrow off.
After the three wisemen arrived I headed home to put the Christmas turkey in the oven (usually in America we eat ham but, there were no hams for me to buy here so dinner was more like Thanksgiving). Around 12:30 I put the stuffed turkey in the oven, at about 3:00 I picked up Shiny,
she was my designated sous chef/ co-host for the evening. We made some final dishes like the cranberry relish, a few cookies for all of us to decorate and set the house up for the guests. Yesterday I made all the casseroles and a pumpkin pie (this is a recipe Jessie uses and everyone loves it!)
My dad usually carves the turkey at home and I have to say that carving the turkey was the biggest challenge for me. I had trouble getting the stuffing out and separating the white and dark meats.

We all decorated cookies while we waited for everyone to arrive- we weren't exactly the best artists but a cookie will always taste good despite it's appearance!
Me, Shiny, Gabi and Rita
The weather was perfect and we were able to eat outside. It even got a little chilly and we had to head in after dessert.
Me, Fazilla, Saleem (they are much like family here for me, I spend more time at their house then my own apartment), Gabi, John, Rita (one of my apartmentmates) and Shiny (my sous chef/co-host)

1 comment:

virginia said...

Great job Min--I know its alot of work and it all looked great.We definitely missed you here at home.Isn't it wonderful that HE is the same yesterday,today and tomorrow AND in the US or UAE!Love