Sunday, February 5, 2012

Facing My Fear

If you know me well at all then you know that I am scared of dogs. It's not a reasonable fear but, it's my fear and no matter how many times you tell me that your dog will not bite me, I will still be nervous to meet your dog. Over the past 5 years I have sort of come to grips with this fear and I can nervously meet your dog and be semi-comfortable when the dog and I are in the same room.
The reason I get nervous is that dogs are unpredictable and could do anything at any time, like bite me.
In the same fashion I am a bit nervous around "birds of prey" and in this case falcons. Falconry is a hobby for men in this region. Our friend buys, trains and sells falcons. This weekend we were at the farm where they train the falcons. While we were there one of our friends noticed that I am always taking photos of others holding the falcons. He called me out and I had to face my fear. He handed me the falconry glove and said "come on, don't be scared"as he showed me the small scratch on his wrist from a falcon talon. I thought no one had noticed, it had been almost 2 years and I still hadn't held a falcon.
Before you judge my fear, let me remind you of this:
Lesson for the day: Face your fears, it's not so bad, even if the person before you made it look pretty scary!

No comments: