Friday, September 17, 2010

"It's Freaking Friday"

This is a famous quote from Christine "It's freaking Friday"- anyone who ever lived at 15 Ashland Street or was even there when Christine got home from work knows exactly what I mean when I say this.Let me give you a run down of a Friday evening at 15 Ashland. You hear the door lock jiggle and then the door flings open and Christine drops her things and before you see her you hear "It's freaking friday" and the party begins! I loved hearing that affirmation that the weekend had arrived.

Here this takes on a whole new meaning. Thursday is our last day of work for the week. Friday is the Holy Day here- Muslims worship on Friday's. For me it's a day of relaxation and rest.
Today I woke up and went to the gym with Jessie (trying to join her healthy habits). We stopped back home so I could get pants on- I wore shorts to the gym but those are not ok for public places. Next, it was off to the store (imagine a Super Walmart on steroids) from groceries, hair dryers; about 15 to choose from, soccer jerseys (not like imitation brands at Walmart, this is where the steroids come in they were the real brands) and washers and dryers. Literally they had everything you could ever need.
After the store we headed to Jessie's house to make lunch for some company that we had. It was wonderful to be sitting around with Emirati women for a meal. There is no better way to get to know people and a culture than to sit down and talk about life. The four women arrived completely covered in their abayas. I felt nervous at first- it was such a strange feeling- I have been seeing these women for the past 4 days and have
even met many who were dressed like them at the hospital. We sat down to lunch and I quickly made friends. I am hoping to have one of the girls come to my apartment when I move. I need friends here and I need to make them fast! I was surrounded by so many girls at home!
My gym membership is already paying off because after the girls left we went to the pool at the gym.
Here I am enjoying the heat. It was so much easier to enjoy the heat when I was wearing typical summer clothes. A bathing suit and a cover up felt amazing after wearing sweaters and jeans in this desert heat.
Then I was off to the mall to change some money and I bought a straightner! I will get to look totally normal soon.




3 comments:

Lauren said...

minG -

I love being able to keep up with you on the blog. Rob and I are in Bar Harbor, ME this weekend and we have thought a lot about you. We saw a shirt downtown that said "I love bacon" and Rob wanted to get it for you as a joke! Instead we got you a small prize that I want to send you. Speaking of which, what is your address? Hope you have a great first day of work tomorrow. Love you!!

Lauren

Min said...

They are sort of figuring out the mailbox thing for me! Hah! They had so many new employees they literally ran out of mailboxes!

Unknown said...

Or the equally as comforting alternative "It's the Freakin' Weekend!!" Love the picture of you in this post, you look so pretty! You are going to have a permanent tan, while we are all getting pasty white as the days get colder. In the staying tan competition: UAE -1 Medford - 0